The Spiroid brand includes two similar gearing solutions, Spiroid® and Helicon®. These gear sets are comprised of a pinion and a face-gear operating in non-intersecting
and non-parallel axes. By definition, the pinion has fewer teeth and is typically the driving member. This category of gearing is often referred to as “skew axis”.
Spiroid and Helicon are advantageous in that they broaden gearing design opportunities restricted by the physical limitations of conventional gearing. In essence, they
represent another powerful design option for engineers looking to transmit higher torques, within smaller spaces, at 90 degree gearbox angles. Spiroid and Helicon: maximum power density
in a right angle gearbox solution.
Click here for a deeper understanding of the differences between Spiroid & Helicon.
Depending on the application, Spiroid and Helicon gear systems will often offer these important benefits:
Application Data Sheet
- Superior torque transmission & power density
- Compact & lightweight relative to application-specific alternatives
- Wide range of reduction gearing ratios (3:1 to 400:1)
- Ease of assembly & liberal mounting tolerances
- Simple & positive backlash control
- High stiffness
- Quiet operation
- Superior shock strength
- High level of indexing & rotational accuracy
- Versatility of gear set materials
- Cost savings due to design flexibility